Full course description
Date and time
Wednesday 30 March 2022, 10.00 am to 3.00 pm
In person at ISV, 40 Rosslyn St, West Melbourne
This learning event is right for you if you are new to the career practitioner/adviser role or haven’t been in the role for very long.
This one day workshop is instrumental in equipping participants new to the career practitioner role with knowledge on how to effectively deliver a quality career education program in your school. It will provide an excellent overview of what you need to know in relation to your role.
• Development and delivery of careers services for Independent schools – focus on secondary, developmental, and community-based schools
• Overview of career education frameworks
• A day in the life of a career practitioner
• Role and responsibilities of career practitioners – Career Industry Council of Australia Industry Standards
• Preparing your calendar of events for each year level
• Professional Membership – why is it important?
The workshop will be interactive, including practical exercises and small group work. Handouts and PowerPoint slides will be provided.
Career practitioners play a pivotal role in helping students to transition successfully from school to further education, training, or employment. The role requires a range of skills and knowledge. For career practitioners/advisers new to the role, this one day workshop will answer many of your questions and help set you up for success in your role.
- understanding of what good practice in career education looks like
- actions you can take to implement and strengthen the career education program in your school
- increased understanding of your role and the responsibilities of your role in the school
- awareness of career education frameworks
- broader network of colleagues.
Dora Karas, Head of Teaching and Learning, The Australian Centre for Career Education
Dora has extensive teaching experience in secondary schools and as a career practitioner. Her work is indicative of establishing an environment where a school community can work together to assist and enable the students to best meet challenges and the aspirations of their lives. Her strong interpersonal and organisational skills, in-depth knowledge of post school options and institutions, has effectively assisted students, parents and staff to achieve their ambitions and aspirations for their future development.