Creating modelling or problem-solving tasks for Mathematical Methods 2023155F
May 17, 2023 - Dec 31, 2023
Spots remaining: 20
Full course description
Date and time
Wednesday 17 May 2023, 9.30 am to 3.30 pm
In person at ISV, 40 Rosslyn St, West Melbourne
VCE Mathematical Methods Teacher
Creating tasks for School Assessed Coursework (SACs) requires careful preparation and planning. This all-day workshop focuses on the modelling or problem-solving tasks for Mathematical Methods and guides you through key understandings and processes for their development.
The workshop will include:
• the purpose, nature, and scope of a modelling or problem-solving task
• review of task structure
• a framework that can be used for developing suitable modelling or problem-solving tasks
• the opportunity for participants to actively work on the development of tasks and collaborate with others throughout the process
• ability to discuss ideas and receive feedback along the way
• where to find VCAA and other supporting resources
A sample modelling or problem-solving task will be used to illustrate and discuss task development processes as part of the workshop. Participants are encouraged to bring along sample contexts, information and/or task ideas for discussion and drafting. Participants should bring CAS technology they are familiar with.
- draft modelling or problem-solving tasks
- deeper understanding of a modelling or problem-solving task and its structure
- a framework and process to develop suitable modelling or problem-solving tasks for your students
- the opportunity to share your work in progress
- resources to support your task ideas and development.
Dr David Leigh Lancaster
David was the Mathematics Curriculum Manager at the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) from June 1998 to July 2021, and is an experienced former mathematics teacher and head of faculty. He has been extensively involved in curriculum and resource review and development, teacher professional learning, examinations and school-based assessment.