Visualising decimal place value to build understanding 2023157W
May 3, 2023 - Dec 30, 2023
Full course description
Date and time
Wednesday 3 May 2023, 4.00 pm to 4.45 pm
Online – a Zoom link will be provided 24 hours prior to the event
Year 5 to 8 Mathematics Teacher
One of the challenges when developing understanding of decimal place value is to represent the size of the smaller place values in correct proportion.
In this session you will have the opportunity to engage with a fresh approach to introducing decimals (10ths, 100ths and 1000ths) using a combination of number lines, number talks and a specially developed number line template in Excel.
One of the benefits of using a spreadsheet is the visual representation of decimal place value with lengths, the relationships between place values and the ability to use it to address common misconceptions. It also leads nicely into developing understanding of equivalence and rounding.
Print ready templates and the Excel template will be shared with participants.
- awareness of how the spreadsheet template can be used to support students in deepening their understanding of decimal place value
- a resource that enables students to visualise decimal place values to 1000th in correct proportion
- understanding of how the template can be used to address common misconceptions
- a copy of the Excel template
- printable A3 and A2 templates for students to work with.
Antje has worked closely with teachers, academics, educational organisations and resource developers across Australia over many years, enabling her to provide unique insights into F-12 school learning environments. She started her career as a classroom teacher and then took on successive roles at the Mathematical Association of Victoria (MAV), Texas Instruments (TI), the Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute (AMSI), the Department (VIC) and as Pearson Mathematics K-12 Portfolio Manager. In these roles she focused on building teacher capacity through professional learning, exploring ways in which learner conceptual understanding can be deepened and creating resources focused on incorporating evidence-based practice for print, blended and digital only delivery modes.
Antje has extensive experience and expertise in:
· mathematics education F-12
· delivering professional learning
· leadership, strategic planning, project governance
· print and digital resource creation
· digital transformation and agile research practices
· learning design and customer insights.
Link(s) to relevant VRQA Standards
- Curriculum and Student Learning – Student learning outcomes